Laughing and Losing It: To Arizona, the beginning of a LONG journey

Friday, June 28, 2013

To Arizona, the beginning of a LONG journey

If you want to lose three to five years of your life in the course of two weeks, do the following:  pack up your house, clean it top to bottom, sob uncontrollably as you say goodbye to dear friends (in front of them and on pillow), and load up all of your belongings on a large truck, then drive 2,500 miles in a car with your breastfeeding infant and 2-year-old (off and on), with no relief from another adult (because the other adult is driving aforementioned truck with 5 year old while towing our other car, then park at a house you have only seen in pictures, and unload all of your things while trying to entertain two kids and baby.  This is not a sob story, I don't mean to complain.  This is not a "Look-at-how-amazing-I-am-and-read-my-blog"  either.  It is merely the story of how I traveled from California to Florida.  And I want to write it down because I doubt I will ever do it again.  

To Arizona

We really wanted to make it from Southern California to New Mexico in one, long haul.  But after giving the truck a test run (barely moves above 60mph) and considering our near-dead exhaustion from packing and loading,  we moved up the move!  We drove to Phoenix the night before we planned to leave.  Just a 5 hour drive.  No problem.  Until.  Until the lines on the road and the hum of the motor massage my consciousness into a hypnotic state.  Until One yawn, two.  Until More of the hum, more of that same, stagnant desert landscape.  Until I Could really sleep right now.  Until I want to close my eyes! STAB ME SO IM DEAD, AND MY EYES ARE CLOSED, AND I DON'T HAVE TO DRIVE ANYMORE!!! It was time for some caffeine.    I'm not a big supporter of caffeine loading or substance loading of any kind.  But when precious lives hang in the balance I took a few liberties. 

We arrived in Phoenix about 12:00 AM local time, La Quinta our go-to motel of the trip.   We peeled the kids from their mold of blankies, snacks, junk and got them to bed without much argument.  The little guy (3.5 months) had a plan of his own and would only sleep next to me, of-and-on,  while breatfeeding, of-and-on.  So I had the sort of sleep you have when you are half-sleeping, half-trying not to squish your infant, half still driving, half worried some hoodlum is stealing 8 years of the life we've built together from the back of the moving truck.  It's a lot of halves to deal with when I'm supposed to be sound asleep.   


Breakfast was really good and I LOADED up.  I mean, bacon, eggs, waffle, syrup, orange juice, milk-LOAD UP.  And we were on the road again, off to NEW MEXICO.  

No comments:

Post a Comment