Laughing and Losing It: Cleaning with all my heart

Monday, October 10, 2011

Cleaning with all my heart

I don't actually take pride in the fact that my kitchen gets REALLY messy sometimes.  I like to joke about how I'm a little bit of a slob and have a hard time pulling it together some days, but in reality I am just like everyone else--I want to have a clean, welcoming place to cook and call home.  If clean is what I want, why does it not always happen?  Ironically, I was pondering this question in the last hour while cleaning the kitchen.  And I think the answer is as simple as this: I would rather be doing something else.  So I find lots of something else's to do while the mess piles up.  It is Classic avoidance, or "Sweeping" under the rug (although we all know I won't be doing any actual sweeping).  Part of me says, "Yeah someone else will get to that."  Then the rational part of me says, "I am the only person home right now who can even reach the counter top."  No one really likes to clean the kitchen (ok some of you freaks do), but people do it anyway because it has to be done.  Instead of continuing to avoid cleaning the kitchen by writing this post, I shall sign off, turn on some music, and make the cleaning somewhat enjoyable.  If it must be done, I might as well find a way to LIKE it, and do it the way I do lots of other things: with all my heart.

Here is some motivation: my "After" picture from a few weeks ago.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go, Bina! I also hate dishes and laundry, but with 7 in our home they are inevitable, daily tasks. Just remember that if you keep up on them, the task will be easier.

    Suz's best cleaning quote lately: "these dishes are not going to do themselves!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Bina! My trick is to set a timer for 15 minutes. You can get a lot done in 15 minutes & when the timer goes off I am either done or close enough to get the job done. The timer helps to fight my ADD tendencies! :-)

    ReplyDelete